April 14: LCS Middle & High School Newsletter
Dear LCS Families,
I hope you had a wonderful spring break with opportunities to rest and reflect.
This email is a reminder of some updates on our learning plan and adjusted course schedules starting this week. As we continue to walk this uncharted path together, it can be helpful to think about it in phases:
- In the opening phase when we first launched remote learning, our goal was to communicate and provide assurances and support to continue learning.
- In this second phase, we adjusted plans for sustainability. We gained helpful feedback from parents, students, and teachers to make informed decisions.
We recognize that adjustments will be necessary as we move forward, and your input continues to be essential. We also hope for and look forward to the time when we can gather our community together again in person.
Andrew Kleyn, Middle and High School Principal
Learning Plan Update
Based on feedback from parents, students, and teachers, and combined with lessons learned from other schools and education consultants, we are implementing updates to our remote learning plan. We are sharing an overview here. Students and parents can expect more information and details from teachers.
Courses will continue on an altered schedule.
- Monday and Thursday – English, Bible, Math, Psychology
- Tuesday and Friday – Spanish, Social Studies, Science
- Wednesday – Specials, Art, Music, and PE
Communication will continue to be essential during this phase.
- The school will continue the Tuesday Newsletter, Thursday Note from the Principal, and the Friday letter from Mrs. Hofman.
- Learning plans for the week will be posted in Skyward for parents and students the first class day.
- We encourage students to reach out to their teachers as necessary.
Virtual Fire Drill
We had a fire drill scheduled at school this week. Just because we’re not in school doesn’t mean that fun and safety can’t continue! On Thursday, at 12:30pm, let’s run out of our houses to practice our “fire drill.”
Snap a photo and email it to Mrs. Henderson with the subject line FIRE DRILL PHOTO! I’d love to see your creativity and faces and share out a collage with the LCS community.
Parents, this may be a nice opportunity to review some family emergency procedures.
LCS Sports Information
The Michigan High School Athletic Association (MHSAA) has canceled the remainder of the 2019-20 Winter and Spring sports seasons, in compliance with the Thursday (April 2) “state of disaster” directive by Gov. Gretchen Whitmer closing school buildings and moving education online for the remainder of the school year to help decrease the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus. Click here for additional information from the MHSAA.
AP Exam Information
The College Board has communicated that AP testing will go on this school year, but not in a traditional format. Each subject will have an online 45-minute free-response exam that covers only content typically taught by early March. You will still have the opportunity to earn college credit by passing AP exams. Exam dates will be released by April 3. More information can be found at this College Board site.
We are committed to continuing teaching and learning during this time. AP teachers will continue to provide the increased rigor and in-depth exploration of content as well as the preparation for college-level courses offered by AP courses. We will update you with further information as we receive it. Please talk with your teacher or contact Jamie Wernet with any questions.